Saturday 31 August 2013

Grow, Eat, Make, and Read

This week, these grew in the allotment:


 
There are not very many veggies this year but the flowers are abundant.
 
We baked these yummy peppermint squares:
 
 
They are a little bit crumbly, a wee bit misshapen and they need more minty icing but for a sheer taste of my childhood they cannot be beaten. My kids have great smears of chocolate across their grubby little faces.  For me, these retro beauties have a wonderful Proustian quality, they transport me right back to my Granny R's fragrant kitchen. I found the recipe in an old recipe book also from another lifetime but there are a myriad of recipes to be found online.
 
I have been reading:
 
Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier's delicious gothic novel is next months book club choice. I am looking forward to our discussion already. I know he has a lovely mansion in beautiful Cornwall but isn't Maxim De Winter a useless husband! I treated myself to the wonderful Hitchcock film adaption too and had always thought the book was a treatise on the difference in class and age between Mr and Mrs de Winter (II) however now I suppose Du Maurier is writing about identity and the consequences of the absence of a strong sense of oneself.
 
I have been trying to teach myself moss stitch:
 
 
Moss stitch continues to be a mystery to me, I think I have managed somehow to knit in seed stitch. It is supposed to be a wee pair of slippers for my daughter from this pattern. Anyways the type of stitch doesn't matter so much. More alarming is the fact that I started off with 6oz of wool and have nearly knitted the whole amount. What the other foot?! I have never tried to knit something before, only a patchwork of knitted squares. I think I will keep going to see what emerges...is that a good idea?
 


No comments:

Post a Comment